Flammekueche, is a specialty of Alsace, whose name means 'flame cake' in the Alsatian dialect of German (and is known as Tarte Flambee in French). It appears in many permutations, sometimes built on puff pastry, sometimes on a delicate shortcrust or a bread-dough crust (similar to pizza), sometimes with the emphasis on onions and eggs and sometimes on bacon.
This is a vegan vrersion of the onion and egg variety.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 kg onions -- finely diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 200 ml soy milk
- 250 g silken tofu
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper -- ground
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp died thyme)
- 2 Teaspoons soy sauce
- 50 ml couscous
- 1 Tablespoon chives -- chopped
- puff pastry or shortcrust
Preheat oven to 350 F | 175 C.
Dress a 10" | 24 cm spring form with the puff pastry. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.